Monday, August 18, 2008

New Green Bay Packers' QB: Aaron Rodgers


With legend Bret Favre, a three-time NFL Most Valuable Player, now a New York Jet, Aaron Rodgers is now the quarterback in Green Bay. The pressure is great. He has handled it well thus far.

"He's done a great job of handling it. I think he has special things inside of him. I think this will make him tough, and has made him continue to build and grow and continue his maturation process. That's not predictive of anything in the future, but I do think he's done very, very well with it."

--Aaron Kampman, Green Bay Packers' defensive end and Rodgers' training camp roommate.


"We think he's got a pretty good perspective on things. He's able to roll with the punches and play the cards he's dealt. I think he understands that, as an athlete at this stage of his career, there are some things he's not totally in control of. His job is, when he comes out here, to lead this football team and play as well he possibly can."

--Joe Philbin, Packers' offensive coordinator.

"I know the pressure that's going to be on me just following a legend. There's going to be a lot of pressure on me just being a quarterback. In this situation, when you're following a guy who played for 15 years here and amassed the kind of numbers that Brett did, I understand standards are high.

"I have high expectations for myself. I know my teammates have high expectations for my play, and so does the coaching staff and the personnel department. I know I'm expected to play at a high level, and I expect it as well."

--Aaron Rodgers, who played at the University of California and was drafted as a number one pick in 2005.


Excerpts from the New York Times 8/17/08.

No comments: