Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Yelena Isinbaeva, Russian Gold Medal Winner in the Women's Pole Vault


"I love to be alone at the top. It's so cool and I will try to keep my position as long as possible."

--Yelena Isinbaeva, world record holder in the women’s pole vault and 2008 gold medal winner in Beijing.


She added that she still believed in what she said after she won the world title in Osaka last year that no one could beat her but herself.

The winning height is 25cm higher than her closest competitor. She has completely dominated women’s pole vaulting for the last four years and has rarely been tested by rivals.

The 26-year-old has been the world record holder since July 2004 and has now raised the bar on 24 occasions.

"I like to prove it, not just say it. I like to prove who is the best and who is the strongest.

"I don't know how high I can go. My coach says I can go 5.20m or higher and I trust him," says Isinbaeva.

To see her win the gold and set a new world record, click NBCOlympics.com, or go to: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0818_hd_atw_hl_l0896&channelcode=sportat

Bonus: On the same video, watch the coach of Jennifer Stuczynski, the U.S. silver medalist in the women's pole vault, inappropriately give her a tongue lashing after she won the silver.

Also, Watch Yelena Isinbaeva in a beautiful tribute video at: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player.html?assetid=0819_sd_mul_au_ce549&channelcode=sportat

No comments: