Thursday, January 22, 2009

New York Jets' New Coach Reveals Mindset


"I'm not afraid of the expectations being high. They should be high -- we are a team that won nine games last year. I'll meet them head on. My goal is to win a Super Bowl. That's what I am here for, to win Super Bowls. I look at it as an opportunity, an opportunity that we can win immediately. There's no reason we shouldn't win immediately. You've got the right guy. I plan on proving that each week."

--Rex Ryan, new New York Jets' head coach, speaking after being introduced and implying that he predicts a Super Bowl win for the New York Jets in two years.


"I learned so much from my dad. I learned about the game of football, the way he would build his team on passionate, physical, aggressive people."

Ryan was most recently the defensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens. Ryan is the son of former Chicago Bears' head coach and winner of the 1985 Super Bowl, Buddy Ryan. The elder Ryan is considered to be one of the greatest defensive coaches in NFL history.

"I want to be a better head coach than my father. That sounds crazy, but it's the truth, and I don't mind saying it."

"I understand the pressures that go with the New York media and the expectations coming with this team," Ryan said. "I look at that as an opportunity that we can win immediately."

"I can't tell you how excited I am to lead this organization," he said. "It's a dream come true. I plan on being here a long time, there's no doubt."

Excerpts from the Star- Ledger (www.nj.com), 1/21/2009 and the New York Times, 1/22/2009.

No comments: