Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Mike Tomlin: Glimpses of a Championship Head Coach


"It's like chess to me. I like to control my emotions because I want to see things with clarity. I think that's what my team needs me to do in those instances. I think that's what my team needs me to do in those instances. Not that I don't enjoy it, I do, but I'm always trying to stay a step ahead.

"You wear many hats in this business, and I embrace that as much as I do the X's and O's. I probably get more enjoyment out of watching people grow than I do preparing winning football games. It's a beautiful thing. I believe that's what we're all called to do."

--Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach, discussing his sideline demeanor and various leadership and mentoring roles on the team.

Excerpts from the New York Times, February 3, 2009.

Watch the game-winning drive on YouTube below.







No comments: