Thursday, November 05, 2009

New York Yankees Win World Series as a Team


"Look, a lot of other people were going the other way and my teammates and coaches and the organization stood right next to me and we finished together as world champs. I couldn't be prouder.

"I just knew then that when I had the 25 guys standing next to me and the organization and general manager, it meant the world to me and I said that day [that] this is going to turn out to be one of the most special years of our lives, and it sure has.''

--Alex Rodriguez, discussing his teammates' support since February when he admitted to steroid use and faced the media at spring training.


"He's a world champion," general manager Brian Cashman said. "No one can say anything about him anymore. He's performed in October. He's performed on the biggest stage. He's got a World Series ring coming his way, and he deserves it."

Hitting .365 in the postseason, Rodriguez slammed six homers and drove in 18 runs.

GOOD MANAGEMENT

Joe Girardi was instrumental in managing the talented Yankees.

"He lets us play, that's the thing. He writes down the lineup. He's open with us. He's honest with us, he communicates with us well. He gives us a chance to go out there and do our thing. He's done a tremendous job."

--Derek Jeter, giving credit to the managerial skills of Yankee manager, Joe Girardi.

DREAMS, PRIDE, AND TEAMWORK

"The joy is the same, but it's a different type of joy," Girardi said after the victory. "As a player, it's what you dream about ever since you were a little boy, and for me, it was listening to Curt Gowdy do all the World Series games. As a manager, you still have that joy, but the joy is for other people, because you know as a player what it takes to win a championship."

"It feels great," Rodriguez said. "I couldn't be more proud of 25 guys, coaching staff and an organization -- it takes everybody."

"I feel very blessed. I feel so lucky to be part of their fifth championship and my first. It's an honor to play with these guys."

--Mark Teixeira, Yankee firstbaseman, said of Yankee veterans Derek Jeter, Jose Posada, Mariano Rivera, and Andy Pettitte.

. . .was happy to be able to hit and contribute to the team's win but more than that, just, us as a team, winning the championship - by far - that is such a great feeling. I guess you can say that this is the best moment of my life right now. If I were to look back, yes, this would be the best.''

--Hideki Matsui, Most Valuable Player of the 2009 World Series, who drove in six runs in the sixth and final game and hitting .615 with three homers and eight RBI during the entire series.

"This is what the Steinbrenner family has strived for year after year after year and has tried to deliver to this city of New York and George Steinbrenner and his family are champions and to be able to deliver this to the Boss, the stadium that he created and the atmosphere that he created around here, um, is very gratifying for all of us," Girardi said.

Excerpts from USAToday.com, NECN.com, VOANews.com, ESPN.com and MLB.com (November 5, 2009).

No comments: